Saturday 11 February 2012

Telling the Parents

After a great weekend with wine and great food.  I returned home.  So I didn't think much about my parents reaction.  We came home, called my parents together and told them the good news!  We were so excited and happy.  There's nothing like surly parents to fix that.  My dad made a sarcastic comment telling us "good luck"; my mom started asking about my boyfriend's financial situation.  I was so upset.  I guess that trying to get them to stop asking us about marriage had convinced them that we were never getting married. My parents have never really been accepting of my boyfriend, we are from two different cultures.  However I think the bigger problem is simply that he is a male.  They aren't very accepting to my other siblings significant others.

Then the date we were getting married became a problem.  They thought it was too quick.  I had to focus on telling them that I wasn't pregnant, because I could see that they were making assumptions.  My mom told me to wait, my dad told me it's too soon.  My mom started crying one day saying that I was going to move out.  I'd just like to say that I'm almost thirty!   I was so flabbergasted.  Finally I began reading wedding books and I read that many parents are depressed about their children getting married.  Who would have known?  I guess I'm not sensitive enough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment